Friday, November 02, 2012

MASCAPONE and bread

I had to stay home yesterday. A bit of food poisoning....yuk. I won't say where I had lunch but in just under two hours....all hell broke loose. Literally. If you've ever watched a horror movie you get the idea. By yesterday morning I was better but very tired. Sleep, only sleep helps and home food. I vow to only eat my own food.... Ever again.
By the afternoon I was feeling a whole bunch better and cleaned out my refrigerator. Hmmmmm, the 1/2 gallon of milk was close to out dating and we were out of bread. What to dooo, what to doooo?
Make CHEESE AND BREAD! For those of you concerned that I shouldn't have been handling food.... I was all over the food poisoning , diligently washed my hands and everything else....and not infectious. FORWARD!
For mascapone:
1/2 gal whole milk
1 C cream (not really necessary but SO GOOD)
1/8 or so cup of lemon juice
1/4 C buttermilk (I used what was left in the carton)
Put the milk products in a large pot over medium heat. Heat the milk until it steams and there is a ring of bubbles around the edge of the pot. Do not boil. Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Not every lemon has the same amount of acid. If after 30 min the curds don't appear add some more.
The milk will separate into curds (the milk solids) and whey (the liquid part). Cheese is made from the curds.
Line a wire colander with two layers of cheese cloth. Don't have cheese cloth? Use two layers of strong paper towels. Not as good... But use what you have, right?
Scoop the curds into the colander and at the end gently pour everything left into the colander. Make sure the curds are elevated above the whey while draining.
Now the hard part....waiting. I started mine around 5pm. By 11pm I was able to change out the cheese cloth to a layer of paper towels. This allowed me to dry the curds even faster as the towels soaked up more whey. I let this sit on the counter over night.
This morning....mmmmm, mascapone! (See pic). The buttermilk gives it a nice tangy flavor, perfect for a tiramisu.
Another way to make this.... Use home made yogurt, put THAT in a colander and by morning.... Cheese! So easy.

No comments: